> 1.  Edit application.properties and comment out my local development
> database configuration and uncomment the production database
> configuration. The settings in this file (jdbc.driver, jdbc.url,
> jdbc.username, jdbc.password, hibernate.dialect,
> hibernate.hbm2ddl.auto) are used in my spring configuration files to
> create a datasource and sessionfactory.

I prefer JNDI bound datasources configured in the app server (running
mainly on glassfish), but you could use maven profiles and properties
defined in profiles with property substitution in
application.properties.

On profiles:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-profiles.html
On property substitution with a Hudson example:
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/johnsmart/archive/2008/03/using_hudson_en.html

> 2.  Edit web.xml and change the configuration context-param from
> development to deployment.

I use the jvm startup parameter: -Dwicket.configuration=deployment on
all production server instances as it overrides web.xml.

> 3.  Run mvn install

I use Hudson with standard maven build definitions to build everything
that ever gets deployed to stage and production servers.

> 4.  scp the newly built war file from my local maven repo to the
> jetty/webapps folder on my deployment server.

> 5.  Remove the existing ROOT.war file from the deployment server.
>
> 6.  Rename the new war file to ROOT.war
>
> 7.  Restart the deployment jetty server

I use a custom Hudson task to deploy the last successful build in
glassfish - a couple of shell commands do the trick. I even have
custom tasks to copy the production db to staging - it's very
convenient to automate such tasks with it.

Janos