I have a shell script that does most of this stuff.  Here's my steps:

1 - mvn clean package
2 - scp package to server(s)
3 - on server, run deploy script
3a - script makes temp working directory
3b - script copies web.xml, application.properties, etc from prod into temp dir
3c - script unzips war into proper location
3d - script copies the production web.xml, etc, back into place
3e - script restarts tomcat / apache (not necessary depending on your
config, it's just how I like to do it)

Most of the applications that I currently maintain can be deployed to
production within about five minutes, including build, upload time,
etc. (of course the automated tests take longer on some applications -
this is excluding test time)

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://www.wickettraining.com