we used to do something like this before we switched to jndi

<value>classpath*:/application.properties</value> <-- prod values
<value>conf/application.${user.name}.properties</value>

that way each dev can create a conf/application.<their user
name>.properties and override production settings with their own.

for different envs you simply override the value of user.name with by
defining it with -Duser.name

-igor