Assuming that you know this page:

http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/portal-howto.html

You should just copy the web.xml & portlet.xml of an already working uPortal
porlet (even if it's not Wicket based) and use the same filters /
listeners... Theses are portal-dependent plumbery, and I use eXo, so I can't
help without knowing the specificities of uPortal.

Are you using portlet 1.0 or 2.0?

HTH,

Pierre

--
Rien de grand ne s'est accompli dans le monde sans passion.

(G.W.F. Hegel, philosophe allemand)