The problem with pre built components is that they never, ever are
exactly what you want or need. Maintaining such components for other
people is what I call hell. We are in the business of creating the
best Java web framework for building your own custom components with
unprecedented ease. This takes enough time already.

Anybody is welcome to build component libraries, open source or
commercially. Our license allows for that and nobody would object to
creative folks trying to earn a buck or two with their component
(libraries).

That this hasn't happened (yet) is mostly because it is so damned easy
to create your own custom components according to your coding style
that precisely fit in your application and perform exactly those task
you intend them to. And conversely it is damned hard to create a
finished, polished, released component. It is easy to start a
component, but it is *work* to ship it.

Martijn

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 6:37 AM, Lester Chua <cicowic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it's kinda of chicken and egg issue wrt components.
> If newbies do not see components readily available, they will probably end
> up coding what they want themselves because:
>
> 1) it takes time to articulate properly their requirements
> 2) avoid facing potential embarrassment  because the component that they
> want is "trivial" (which turns out not to be)
> 3) "I know it when I see it" (this is quite common and this approach
> normally requires a large library of things to pick from)
>
> Maybe the reason why no one is asking is one of the above reasons, or all of
> them combined.
>

> Igor Vaynberg wrote:
>>
>> the interesting bit is that people are saying that there are "not
>> enough components" that wicket ships with, but no one is saying which
>> componets exactly they are missing.
>>
>> -igor

>>> But isn't that missing some of the major reasons for using components:
>>>
>>> 1. that you shouldn't have to reinvent the wheel (even if it is easy),
>>> 2. that a component that is tried and tested (version 3+) is better than
>>> my
>>> version 1,
>>> 3. components can encapsulate best practice that takes time to learn,
>>> 4.  a suite of components may integrate better.
>>>
>>> Writing a linked list in Java is easy but I would never consider doing
>>> that,
>>> the available classe are much more powerful, general, well-tested,
>>> integrated, ...
>>>
>>> I'm not knowledgeable wrt Wicket components or JSF components, but
>>> generally
>>> speaking what components available in JSF, for example, wouldn't be
>>> useful
>>> in Wicket and why not?
>>>
>>> I'm with the OP in that I'm a little surprised by the lack of published
>>> components (from low-level to high-level).  Again, I am probably missing
>>> something ...
>>>
>>> Maybe as I learn more about Wicket and get more experience I will
>>> understand.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Ashley.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ashley Aitken
>>> Perth, Western Australia
>>> Skype/iChat: MrHatken (GMT + 8hrs!)

Apache Wicket 1.4 increases type safety for web applications
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.4.0