Ok, then is the content found at these two pages not relevant for v1.4?
http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/nested-forms.html and
http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/conditional-validation.html

I understand the idea of nested forms and I understand that HTML only
supports one form.  I had hoped that Wicket would only process the submitted
form versus the entire form (whole form is submitted, only nested form
actually processed).  And from the content on the pages, I had thought it
was a more common use case.

My intent was to have a main form with various fields and then a grouping of
fields within a nested form.  This nested form was supposed to be submitted
using an AjaxSumitLink for the nsted form.  I suppose an alternative would
be to have a custom behavior that called serializeForm on the client and
then handled the component processing on its own.  The trick in that case
would be the FormValidators.

If you have a better idea, I'm all ears.  Thanks for the input.