I agree the 'model' is a very powerful concept that needs to be explained properly... However drawing on my own early experiences with with java frameworks I can say that the reasoning for why model's are valuable is difficult to understand until the principals of request lifecycle have been fully explained. The point of a model is to express a dynamic value that is is dependent on the current state of several variables than can change during the course of a single or multiple requests. In the early stages of learning any web front end technology the 'lifecycle' concept is a new one.

jcgarciam wrote:
Hi, i did a quick walk thru the tutorial and something i think is missing
and could help is to explain the concepts of Model and the difference
between Static Model and Dynamic Model. I know it may complicate things for
students and new comers to wicket programming but i think it worth, (using
Page 6 (adding the Datetime to the homepage) as example its good enought to
understand it.

Hope it helps.

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:15 AM, H. Turgut Uyar [via Apache Wicket] <
ml-node+2314844-1121304651-229...@n4.nabble.com<ml-node%2b2314844-1121304651-229...@n4.nabble.com>
wrote:

Hi,

I am a lecturer at the Istanbul Technical University, Computer
Engineering Department. One of the courses I teach is "Database
Management Systems" where the students develop a web application using
databases as their term project. Until a few years ago we used PHP but
then switched to Java in order to be consistent with the course material.

Last year we have gone with Wicket as our framework but the students had
trouble with finding their way in the documentation. Considering that
this is the first course they take after an introductory object-oriented
programming course, this year I've decided to prepare a simple tutorial
that would teach them how to get started on such a project. The result
is on the address:

http://www3.itu.edu.tr/~uyar/wicket-tutorial/

There is also a PDF version:

http://www3.itu.edu.tr/~uyar/wicket-tutorial/wicket-tutorial.pdf

The problem is, I'm a novice Wicket programmer. I would really
appreciate all kinds of feedback, especially about the mistakes I might
have made in the text or the code.

Thanks

--
H. Turgut Uyar <[hidden
email]<http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=2314844&i=0>>

For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden
email]<http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=2314844&i=2>