Do you use Eclipse?  There is a compiler warning that you can turn on (it
should be on by default) that warns against this problem whenever you
may inadvertently be "hiding" other variables.  I suggest to everyone I
teach that they turn it on (and perhaps even turn it up from warning to
error), and of course, stop ignoring the little yellow squiggly lines :)

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://www.wickettraining.com