Vineet,
thank you for replying.
I don't think this is the issue, because the panels I am creating, have
their Id's set directly in the constructor. For example,

public EditUserScreen(){
    super("workScreen");
    setOutputMarkupPlaceholderTag(true);
    setOutputMarkupId(true);
}

And basically they all have the same Id.
However, I don't think this has anything to do with creation of the
Panels anymore. I have just tried something like:

EditUserScreen screen = new EditUserScreen();
currentPanel.replaceWith(screen);
currentPanel = screen;

Still nothing changed. So it doesn't look to me like the wat I am
creating the panel is the problem. I think there is issues with the way
I am using replaceWith method.

Any ideas ?