1.  The current approach is correct, requiring a checkbox means
requiring that it be checked.

2.  A checkbox shouldn't be able to be required.  You can't *not*
provide a value (it's binary) for a checkbox, so therefore it always
should satisfy the required requirement.
(1)

I can't think of any useful benefit to (2) but I *can* think of a very useful benefit for (1) The classic "tick this box to indicate that you have read and agreed to sell us your soul EULA would be the obvious time to use a checkbox and setRequired(true) if it worked as per (1).