Thanks, Andrea. I was running in DEVELOPMENT mode and switching to
DEPLOYMENT mode fixed the problem. I hope this gets documented
somewhere.

Martin, are you saying that page rendering will not block waiting for
the static resource to render while it will block on a component
resource to render? Maybe I need to learn more about page locking in
Wicket ...

Thanks,

Alec