Hi Sven,
I'm on back on it now.
To hidden the checkboxes for roots I've put the 'if' into the
'newContentComponent' method

something like this
public Component newContentComponent(String id, final AbstractTree<Skill>
tree, IModel<Skill> model)
        {
                if (model.getObject().isRoot()) {
                        return new Label(id, model);
                } else {
                        return new CheckedFolder<Skill>(id, tree, model)
                        { ... }

What I'd like to do now is to reproduce 'check all/uncheck all' features I
was able to do using a linear/plain list view data structure (the original
structure I'd like to replace with a hierarchical one)

best
massimo