I was not expecting so much hate.  I guess now I am infamous in the Java
world now.  Look, it is just my opinion.  Not many people actually stopped
to address many of my points.  They just immediately bashed me.

I am sticking with Wicket because it is required for work.  I am able to do
stuff in it but it seems unnecessarily complicated.  I own the “Wicket in
Action” book and “Enjoying Web Development with Wicket Book” by Kent Ka Iok
Tong.  The second book is much more practical.  Without these books I would
not be able to do anything in Wicket.  That is why I did not mention
documentation.  I would prefer to just be able to check out something like
this http://static.springsource.org/docs/petclinic.html.  This is a real
working application that shows how to do things with databases etc.  With
Wicket, I had to string a bunch of snippets together and read two books.  I
am still not sure I am doing things the best way.

To people who say I am inexperienced, I have tried JSF and GWT.  Wicket is
better than both of those.  JSF has an invasive and complicated lifecycle.
When I saw the lifecycle diagram I just stopped even looking into it.  GWT
uses terrible Swing style layouts and all these crappy interfaces for RPC.
There was also no real help on the server.  At least with Wicket I can still
use HTML and CSS for my layouts.  However, these component based frameworks
are still way too complicated for a simple task:  building a web page.  In
my humble opinion Spring MVC done right (no scriplets) with JSTL & EL and
jQuery is better than Wicket.  You can also use Velocity templating.  I have
also used Swing to build desktop apps.  I would not say Swing is a shining
example of how to build GUIs.  I thought it was pretty bad, verbose, and
impractical.  The Play Framework has the right idea:  stateless and restful.
No clunky components and over-engineered objected-oriented baggage.

Here is a quote from the Restlet page
(http://www.restlet.org/about/introduction):
“While powerful for complex centralized models, the object-oriented paradigm
isn't always the best suited for Web development. Java developers need
realize this and start thinking more RESTfully when developing new Web
servers or new AJAX-based Web clients. The Restlet project is providing a
simple yet solid foundation that can get you started right away on the Web
2.0.”
- Jérôme Louvel, Restlet founder
Maybe you can look up his Linkdin and start bashing him too.  Oh no he said
object-oriented is not the Holy Grail!

I am definitely in the “I like to hand-code HTML, CSS, and Javascript” camp.
I even like hand-coding SQL.  I get complete control.  These are all pretty
easy languages; most of them are declarative.  They are easier than Java.  I
know most Java developers do not feel this way and want to just do
everything in Java.  I think you should use the best tool for the job.  Java
is a mediocre tool to use in every domain.