Hi,

thank you for your input on how to attack my problem... As it turned out,
the simplest way to see where the time is spent, was to override the
"render" method of various components. I had used "onBeginRender" and
"onAfterRender"
before, but they seem to be called asymetrically so I was not able to to
properly associate the start and stop events for a particular timer.

To use a profiling tool was not an option since I do not have full access to the
integration testing machine and thus I cannot instrument the server. Secondly, I
wanted to measure the data on a per request basis which is - to my knowledge -
not
possible with this kind of tools.

Long story short: the time is spent in the rendering phase for the component
that
represents a tree entry. Due to various requirements, this component is fairly
complex
and I takes approx. 2.5 to render one of them. Multiply by 5000 and that's it...

No comes the tricky bit: to convince our customer, that opening 5000 tree
entries
simultaneously is not  really a good idea...

J.