Douglas,

Regarding javascript references: instead of adding a header contributor,
have your component override renderHead(IHeaderResponse response) and use
response.renderJavaScriptReference().

Regarding AbortException: instead of grabbing the servlet response, writing
to it immediately, and throwing AbortException, replace the current request
handler with one that writes the response. See DownloadLink#onClick for an
example. (Ref
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/wicket-users/201105.mbox/%3cbanlktimkstujmwzsd2lhhkbyzcungcq...@mail.gmail.com%3E
 )

Dan