> This is improved in Wicket 6.
> You can use
> org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.WebApplication#addResourceReplacement for
> exactly this use case.
> See http://wicketinaction.com/2012/07/wicket-6-resource-management/
> You are recommended to upgrade your application.

Nice - the addResourceReplacement is great.  Thanks Martin - I will
try to upgrade the application soon.  In the meantime, I will override
the necessary methods in the class, as per Francois' suggestion.

if the question is how to modify internal JavascriptResourceReference
packaged with component
> I will just override
>         @Override
>         public void renderHead(IHeaderResponse response)
>         {
>                 // initialize the javascript library
>                 response.render(JavaScriptHeaderItem.forReference(JS));
>                 response.render(OnDomReadyHeaderItem.forScript("new
> MultiSelector('" + getInputName() +
>                         "', document.getElementById('" +
> container.getMarkupId() + "'), " + max + ",'" +
>                         getString("org.apache.wicket.mfu.delete") +
> "').addElement(document.getElementById('" +
>                         upload.getMarkupId() + "'));"));
>         }
> Max is the max number of files a user can upload.
> container.getMarkupId() is container
> upload.getMarkupId() is upload

Francois, I'm sorry to belabor this question - but I just want to make
sure I'm not missing something still.  I think I understand what to do
now and it works - I was just pointing out that if I extend the
MultiFileUploadField class, it is not enough to only override that one
method, because the reference to those 3 variables in my overridden
method would be trying to reference private members from the super
class and won't be allowed.  So, I just need to also create a new
version of the variables in the extended class, and override the
constructors in which they are defined, and any other methods in which
they are referenced.  Were you saying in your last response that this
is not necessary, for some reason that I'm still missing?  In any
case, doing it this way works and is fine as a temporary solution
until I upgrade and can use the addResourceReplacement approach.
Thanks again for all the help!

Best,
-Evan