I'm building a Gantt like interface with Wicket (nearly finished).
It was a requirement to see multiple years of planned items, in the extreme
range even.

I've down-tuned it to be around max ~3k (8 years) of components in that
listview, through the power of persuasion and as a test.
At 3k components, the getId() method is called quite a reasonable amount of
times. around 4.5M'ish times through the children_indexOf method.

But you're absolutely right, 100k components is bull.

Right now I've settled with them that I'd change the view of the Gantt to be
less detailed when that amount of data is in there. The UI is quite flexible in
that I can change what I render.

With 2 years, only 731 columns are rendered, each day is a column.
When > 2 years, I change the view to a more zoomed out version.
With 8 years, only 97 columns are rendered, each month being a column.

Etc...

Still with all the components taken in as it is a Gantt chart kinda interface,
the browsers that I test in are only getting a bit sluggish when I'm
displaying around 2k of components on this Intel Q8200.
I'm not displaying any fancy gif's/flash or whatever, only allot of div's and
some svg overlays through jsPlumb for dependency display.

I mainly found it staggering that the getId() function was called that much.
As Martin said, I'm targeting to limit the amount of components that should be
rendered now, although sometimes hard with this kind of interface.

Cheers.