Hi,

The main reason to not backport it to wicket-6.x is that JSR356
(websocket-api.jar) is built with Java 7.
And Wicket 6.x is being build with Java 6 ...

One option is to wait for Wicket 7.0.0.M1 (we talk about it for a month
now, so I hope it will be released soon!).
Another option is to port wicket-native-websocket-javax to wicket-6.x and
explain somewhere that you have to run on Java 7 to be able to use it.
Please file a ticket and if no one else objects against this then we will
do it for 6.15.0.

And yes, we will have to find a better way to explain in the guide which
feature is new and available only in 7.x ...

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting