On October 16, 2007 11:37:49 am Vincent Massol wrote:
> Hi Victor,
>
> On Oct 16, 2007, at 5:23 PM, Víctor A. Rodríguez wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > as anyone can see there's a first attempt to upgrade from v0.9 in
> > http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/
> > Installation#HUpgradinganXWikiv09Installation
> > The problem with this approach is that it just migrates the Java code,
> > but not the one inside the xwiki pages stored in the database.
> > In order to construct a strong and complete migration process I need
> > some help (as usual :-D), mainly :
> >
> > * what pages/spaces contain code that is considered part of XWiki
> > distribution ??
>
> If you're talking about XE (XWiki Enterprise). The list of pages is
> available there:
> http://fisheye2.cenqua.com/browse/xwiki/xwiki-products/xwiki-
> enterprise/trunk/wiki/src/main/resources

How does this relate to the question? I missed something here :P

> > * does anyone has success in making the code at
> > http://old.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Test/ImportExport work on 0.9 ??

Yes

> > * any other places to look at for other pieces of XWiki core that
> > should
> > be added to the upgrade guide ??
>
> I think we need more detailed instructions for moving data from an
> existing DB to a new DB. The exporter would be the best way to do
> that but importing a large XAR doesn't work either when the memory is
> not large enough so import at the DB level is required anyway for
> some large XWiki installs.
>
> I haven't tried doing this myself (I don't have a 0.9 wiki to
> migrate) so I'm not the best placed to help here but I'm pretty sure
> some 0.9 users are having a hard time so they should speak up!
>
> Have you checked the list archives to check messages about migrating
> to 1.1.1 from a 0.9 install?

You will see of couple of messages of mine ;)
With time I came close to migrate and I documented how I did it in these
messages. Mostly the information is available in the Wiki as well but it is a
long process to identify what we need and to fetch the information. For this
reason this list is a good start but we could also get together on xwiki.org
and build a page just around the issue if it makes sense.
I don't have the migration done yet, so I am angry for any info you could
produce ;)

To make the story short you have to find this information:
- install the import/export into 0.9 (see old.xwiki.org for the code)
- fix the database XWD_ARCHIVE mediumblob type to longblob (xwiki.org)
- increase the attachment file size limit (also xwiki.org)
- increase the heap size used by your servlet container (-Xms : see for
example http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/gc1.4.2/ for more)

Weirdness and bad luck:
- (A) migrating to 1.1rc2 works to 1.1.1 fails :P
- (B) 1.1.1 can't open the xar package (once attached), it complains about a
file not ending correctly (zip)

Strategies
- option 1 - install 1.1.1 fresh and import a xar (first fix the issues above)
- option 2 - install 1.1.1 and connect it to the database (there bad luck
happens)

Possible ways to fix the problem
- B could be fixed by modifying the import code (is there something hardcoded
involving the size of the expected zip?)
- the database migration could be fixed by running a script within mysql to
migrate the schema (if only we knew what has been changed as well as the
exact meaning and purpose of the attributes)

What's next?
;)

Marc