[Ricardo Rodriguez] Your EPEC Network ICT Team wrote:
> Vincent Massol wrote:
>> The more I think about the more I like idea b) below. This means there
>> would be 2 options for anyone wanting to contribute code:
>>
>> 1) If the person is interested in xwiki in general, the best is the
>> contribute it in xwiki's SVN itself and have the person be made a
>> committer
>> 2) if the person is interested only in a specific thing, like a macro
>> he has developed, a plugin, an app, and is looking for a place where
>> he/she can contribute with others on it, then this special forge
>> project is the perfect place.
>>
>> Now we need to find a name for it and then creating it is quick and easy.
>>
>> I propose to name it "xlet" which means an xwiki extension in general.
>> Any other idea?
>>

> I do like both idea b) and the name "xlet". As I keep trying to enter
> this great developing universe, the availability of this "special forge"
> could ease things. Let me guess much more people are in my same
> situation. What I don't know is how complicated would be for "core devs"
> to be sure the code developed for any of the coming xlets (I've already
> added this new word to my dictionary :) is not dangerous for a XWiki
> installation. Or perhaps this must not be a concern at all for core devs
> and they will be used on each one's risk.

Yep, core devs shouldn't bother with the code quality. If a cool macro
appears there, and should be moved to the main XWiki repo, then a core
dev can either ask the authors to improve it, work with the original
authors, or simply take over the project, if the authors don't
cooperate/can't be reached.

But in an public FLOSS forge, code quality tends to improve with the
project popularity. Whenever someone wants to use/improve something,
it's probably that (s)he'll submit the code fixes to the forge.

And when a core dev sees something nice in the forge, he can always
spare some of his time and knowledge to improve it.

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/