[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I explained it in several messages, I'm trying to use XWiki on a
> remote server. We're accessing it with a ssh connection (using Putty).
>
> First, I tried to install the war manually and it seems that I succeed
> but we couldn't access to the XWiki page although Tomcat seems to work
> fine.

I said that you should look in the logs and see what error is printed
there. If you don't do this, nobody can help you. "It doesn't work" is
not enough to find and solve the problem.

> I couldn't find anybody able to help me on this matter and I needed
> XWiki to be installed so I choose to install the standalone version.
> But there's a little problem. XWiki is working just fine but we have
> to start jetty with a command on our putty terminal and if we shut the
> window where the commad has been entered, we shut down jetty... so we
> can't access XWiki anymore if the window isn't open
>
> Is there a way to keep Jetty running without having to keep the
> terminal window open?

The best option would be to use jetty as a system daemon, like Vincent
said. Try to find an init script for jetty, or you can try to write your
own init script, it shouldn't be hard.

Another option would be to install "screen" and use it. See
http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/

Another option is to use nohup.

Each option requires some linux knowledge, and there's nothing XWiki
specific, the documentation of each tool is enough.

> That said, I must say that I've been surprised by the difficulty to
> install XWiki with both method (especially the first one). Even with a
> good tutorial about how to install xwiki manually on a Debian Etch
> 4.02 we still had a problem. And with the standalone version, although
> it works just fine, there still is this little problem with Jetty (But
> I hope somebody will be able to help with this). It's been difficult
> to find help all over the web. Don't you think all the problems that
> we can't get should be put in one place? It would avoid for someone
> trying to install xwiki to spend hours looking at N sites and N pages
> to find only one information. I hope I'll get to fix my problems and
> I'll be happy to share it afterwards for people facing the same
> issues. It would be really easier if all the installation problems
> like this (exception, etc...) were listed on a unique page leading to
> the right solution rather than having to look to multiples threads,
> forums, blogs and websites....
>
> But that's just my opinion.

Like Vincent said already, it is not our job to describe how to install
a container. The documentation we have is enough, and it describes the
needed steps from XWiki's perspective:

0. Install Java
1. Install a container.
2. Install a database.
3. Copy the xwiki war to the container
4. Configure the xwiki--database connection, which is pretty well documented
5. Start the container.

The only XWiki specific thing is #4, only one out of 6 steps.

The problem is that there are many possible containers, databases and
other optional touches, like an apache httpd frontend, virtual hosts and
DNS. caches, LDAP and so on. And when taking into account all the
possible combinations, there are too many configurations to describe.
For those that don't know how to install the needed environment, we have
a simple .zip distribution that offers a basic working wiki. We cannot
document how to install Tomcat, as that is a completely different
project. We cannot document how to install Jetty either. And I'm sure
you know that mysql or postgresql are not our responsibility. This is
how linux works, there are many components, or services, that cooperate
and integrate into each other. In Windows, clicking an .exe is enough to
install an application because it does not cooperate. A windows
application is usually an isolated binary blob that doesn't use anything
other than the windows API, and doesn't offer anything another
application might use. That's why installing something in Windows is
easy. And we have such an installer for XWiki, too.

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/