> What I still don't get is "How to create sections" - or get an edit
> icon at the top right at all

If you are getting it on some pages then you have it turned on in the config
so that's step one. Now the magic bit...

Use a header for your section, any of these will create you a new section in
the page that can be edited separately.

1
1.1
1.1.1
1.1.1.1

I believe all of these create new sections. To be honest, I think that this
behavior is annoying. I'd much rather have a Tag or some other indicator
that I want a given heading to be individually editable. There are times
when I may want to use one of those headings and NOT have it create a nee
editable section in the page. But that is neither here nor there...

Hope this helps!
.:. Kevin