Hi Simon,

Some words from a long-time user of XWiki ...

I think the issues you encountered might be linked also to the fact that
these features rely on external tools (oo, ms office...), and also they are
quite "recent" in xwiki history. So for sure, all integration issues might
not have been encountered / fixed already.
Of course if you need mainly these features, it might be a problem, but with
some fixes there is no reason they won't work.

For the rest, I must say that on the other side, and even with some (known)
flaws, xwiki is not comparable to other wikis I know. No one offers such
liberty and customization possibilities. I use it for some years now at work
(since v0.9) and migrated regularly to last versions, and progression is
incredible, in terms of features and usability. A good basis is now in
place, and I think not much is needed to have a nearly perfect tool :)
But, again, this tool might need some involvement in order to get its best,
even if it's more and more "plug & play".

I'll take an example, in my office we use a specific configuration
management tool very uncommon, and that is integrated with nothing else. In
wiki I could very easily create some macros to help users create links on
various sources, reports and such in this scm tool. The wysiwyg editor works
really well now, and the new macro displays in a dialog with parameters I
defined, though I didn't code anything for the display. This is really
helpful and really easy to put in place. I don't know much other tools, but
I don't think you can do this kind of thing so easily... For now I did not
install oO server for office import though, but I plan to.

Best regards,
Jeremie