Hi Caty,

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 18:09, Ecaterina Valica <vali...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Denis,
>
> I want to thank you again for all the help you are giving :P

This is pleasure to participate especially because you provide really good
proposals.
I would also like to see others participating, currently the discussion is
becoming to much bilateral IMO.

> Please take a look at a proposal for "V3 and my 3)" version with elements
> from Rights2 :)
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Improvements/Rights43Proposal
> and in "action"
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Improvements/Rights43Space

Really nice job ! I really appreciate.

> The prototype is not reflecting the "desired" interaction: both inherited
> info and rights change appear on hover (right icon and arrow), instead of
> hover | click.

I am not sure what are really your intend. I think that the big tooltips
describing the rights should be the only tooltips, and should be show on
hover only after a small timeout (like the yellow one currently). Clicking
any where on the +/- icon or v would then open the menu.
Is it what you try ?

> That "v" needs to be an arrow like the one we use in the action menus.
>
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 19:06, Denis Gervalle <d...@softec.lu> wrote:
>
> > Caty,
> >
> > Really nice and interesting post, I will try to reach that level... but
> > without visual :\
> >
> > I really think that using the collapsed view for editing would helps
> basic
> > users to have a simplified and more easy interface to understand. We may
> > even imagine that only "advanced user" (those marked so in their
> profile),
> > has access to the expanded view.
> >
> > I think that the collapsed view missed an additional icon that summarize
> > the
> > rights that are not shown. This one would only be shown if there is any
> > non-defaulted additional right in action.
>
> This is a signal that extended
> > rights are in use (See it like the grey box of Windows when special
> rights
> > are setup, which is inviting to go into advanced view to know more). This
> > one would be obviously not editable, and should probably work like the
> > or replace it ? In place of the ... . Concerning the ..., I am not sure,
> > but
> > I would also prefer to see a textual link "advanced" in small font, and
> > only
> > visible when row is hovered.
> >

> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Improvements/Rights43Proposal#HRowhover

Sorry to insist, but the information regarding the advanced rights is still
missing in collapsed mode.
I really would like to have a indicator that some advanced rights has been
set locally or not without having to go advanced mode. Else, you will have
to expand all rows to check that information, which is not practical.

> > Order of right are not significant, so I would prefer that in all view,
> > these where in the same order, with the basic right first (V/C/E/D/A/P)
> and
> > the additional right in their order of registration (hope that it will
> stay
> > constant... or we will have to find a way to keep them ordered).
> > The "right" part of each icon should be grayed if the right is inherited
> > and
> > not grayed if the right is set locally, this improve the information
> > provided in V3.
>

> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Improvements/Rights43Proposal#HAfterclick
>
> The problem with this icons (taken from Silk) is that there is little
> difference for View, Comment, Admin icons between the two states
> (inherited,
> locally set) - but this is something we can easily improve (by changing the
> icons and looking for some more contrast).
> Example: This is how they look when all rights are set locally (full color)
>
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/Rights43Proposal/fullColors.png
>

> > I also think that the +/- (which is never grayed) could be
> > nearer to the right icon. Maybe you could use a green V and a read "stop"
> > in
> > place of +/- ?
> >

> The other mockup versions (like
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Improvements/Rights41Space)
> used
> v/x for the allow/deny representation, and yes, I agree that they are more
> suited than +/-.
>
> The problem is that we are using in XWiki, X to represent delete, so having
> two xX was too much, that's why I introduced +/-. Maybe we can find another
> solution.

I think we need some polishing on the icons used. Building them specifically
would be nice, but I do not know if you or anyone want to have a try at
that. My feeling is that the couple +/- or better v/x and the right icon
should be built together and closer to each other providing the information
as a whole and not giving the impression of two part. Using a v for
suggesting the menu is nice, could be even improved by styling some "button
like" borders on hover.

All menus could also be improved by using the inheritance arrow married with
+/- (or v/x) to show immediately what will be the right if inheritance is
used.

> [...]
> the
> > same issue in expanded view, but it seems to be less annoying) :
> >
> > 1) use V3, but when hovering a row, use V2 on that row and allow
> drag/drop
> > (keeping V2 until drop even is hover is temporary lost). Not sure this
> will
> > be nice in practice ? see 2)
> >
> > 2) use a presentation in 4 columns, for both collapsed and expanded view,
> > the first column behing a read-only summary like V3, and the 3 column
> being
> > an ordered V1. However, dragging from summary would be allowed. The 3
> > detailed column could be shown only when a drag is started from summary,
> or
> > with a global horizontal expansion button... Basic user would have access
> > this, but not necessarily to vertical row expansion. Not sure this is not
> > an
> > increase in complexity ? so, see 3)
> >
> > 3) use V3, and a similar interface to what we have in current right
> > management interface. Since saved are postponed (not like we have
> > currently), using this one may be both practical and could helps the
> > transition for existing user as well. With all the belts and whistle
> added
> > to clearly state changes and inheritance, this will be similar but really
> > better than what we have.
> >
> > If we go for V3 and my 3) proposal, I also wonder if the current table
> > header is well done. I do not like it when nothing is expanded since it
> is
> > confusing, too large, and not significant. It will be even more
> unexpected
> > if you follow me on the "advance user" case, when a basic user look at
> it.
> > Maybe you could try a changing header, only expanding when there is
> > expanded
> > row, or, you could move the expanded header in each expanded row, keeping
> > simplified header at the top.
> >
> > WDYT ?
> >
> > Denis
> >

> Other problem that this proposal has is the representation of "advanced
> rights". If we don't like the textual description and we want to add icons,
> IMO we have two solutions:
>
> A) use the same abstract icon, but with different color, ex. a key or lock
> icon with color representation ("blue" for "programming", "green" for
> "captchaComment", etc)
> - the problem here is for the people that have some kind color blindness
> and
> will not distinguish between some color tones (this is the case when we
> gonna have lots of "advanced" | non default rights)
>
> B) use the same abstract icon and with an order index (like numbers 1, 2,
> etc or characters A, B, etc)
>
> These representations are based on the fact that "advanced rights" will be
> added by other developers and the icon will not be custom made for a specif

Why not just use the big Icons from the menu (using the inheritance arrow
married with +/- as proposed above), and directly followed by the v arrow.
All this in front of the text ?

Using a generic icon will not improve information and detailed view of
advanced right in collapsed mode is not expected.

It is not clearly shown on your samples, how multiple advance right would be
shown. I think one per row is nice, or if you want to limit space, 2 or 3 at
most, shown in columns ?
I also wonder is this would help or not to also extends basic rights in
advanced mode, showing the icons and the text ?

> Another thing we need to consider for this proposal is how the filtering is
> gonna be made.

Good point. Here is some proposal for each column:

1) a dropdown list proposing local (default), global or both ?
2) a textbox which filter on names
3) a dropdown list proposing all (default), hide inherited only, and maybe
the list of rights, showing only rows where the selected right is set
locally ?

WDYT ?

Denis

> [...]
> > >
> > > As you see in V2) has the same functionality as the expanded version.
> > > The main benefit is that is occupying less space, but we still need the
> > > expanded view for the Inherited/detailed information for each right.
> > >
> > > The down side of version 2
> > >

> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/Rights4Proposal/wikiTest2.png
> > > is that if I want to *summarize *a global state for a given right (ex
> see
> > > for what users 'delete' is allowed/denied) at a global level, not at a
> > > group/user level, the same dizziness effect appears (I have to search
> for
> > > 'delete' right in three columns, for all the users)
> > >
> > > V3) is the current proposal, it compresses the 3 column spread
> > information
> > > in one view.
> > >

> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/Rights4Proposal/space42View.png
> > > -   this version doesn't lets the user drag its right to the
> appropriate
> > > column
> > > +-  doesn't have the same representation as the extended version
> > > +   scanability: it's easy to scan for the searched column/position at
> > *
> > > global* level
> > > +   there is no gapping space between rights
> > >
> > > V3_wiki)
> > >

> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/Rights4Proposal/wikiTest3.png
> > > is equivalent to
> > > V2_wiki)
> > >

> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/Rights4Proposal/wikiTest2.png
> > >
> > > I prefer V3) over V2):
> > > +   Summary does what is suppose to: give a global summary of existing
> > > rights, without being concerned of the type of the right (inherited,
> > > locally
> > > allowed, locally denied)
> > > +   Good Readability
> > > +/- Doesn't allow rights to be dragged around. I prefer changing rights
> > in
> > > expanded mode because there you also have more information, like source
> > of
> > > the inheritance + 3 columns.
> > >
> > > Being compact it's easier to understand the "local source of
> inheritance"
> > > for a given right. For example, allowing "view" right for 'evalica'
> will
> > > deny it for 'unregistered users' and 'registered users'. Being on the
> > same
> > > column is easier to look for the change and see it in action (being
> > > highlighted).
> > >

> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/Rights4Proposal/space42View.png
> > >
> > > Please tell me what you think about this rationale. It would be great
> if
> > > you
> > > have ideas about how to make the summary being draggable, but also

Denis Gervalle
SOFTEC sa - CEO
eGuilde sarl - CTO