Hi Johannes,

On Mar 10, 2011, at 12:41 PM, jstoldt wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> First of all, I agree with Ludovic and Vincent, a new VM should be created
> every time a new version is out. It obviously is a lot of data that needs to
> be stored but the problem with not having an up to date VM is that people
> who just want to check out XWiki in a ready to go and possibly production
> ready environment most likely do not want to bother with setting up the VM
> and immediately having to upgrade the XWiki instance before they can try the
> latest version.

I'm not sure I understand you here.

If you want something already made for you you have to pay something for it
(since someone will need to host your solution, set it up, maintain it, etc).

* xwiki.org offers myxwiki.org (paid by XWiki SAS) for non business needs (non
profit + individuals)
* XWiki SAS offers XWiki Cloud: http://www.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/Offer/Cloud

Now for upgrades, this is the role of the Extension Manager to handle the
application upgrade part (which is the only hard part of the upgrade).

> Anyway, either I did not make myself clear or you missed the notion that I
> am not really a huge fan of VMs. On the one hand it can be hard to integrate
> pre-built VMs with a companies IT systems, on the other hand, AFAIK, there
> is no really free VM software that can be used in corporations.

Personally I agree that I'd prefer to focus xwiki.org devs on install wizard,
extension manager, etc rather than building VMs which is more business-oriented
IMO and is costly to do (XWiki SAS or other companies could provide this for
business users).