Hi Gerrit,

i can give you a partial anwer to your questions as I have also been
struggling to adapt look & feel of one of my sites.

I tried as much as possible not to change the code in the VM templates
as this requires access to the server and makes it harder to document
all the places and survive a version upgrade.

Basically I've created a page containing a velocity macro that contains
all the restrictions.
This page needs to be included in all pages where the restrictions shall
apply.
The restrictions are just css selectors to suppress visibility:

{{velocity}}
#if (!$hasEdit)
{{html clean="false"}}
   #hierarchy {display:none;}
   #document-title {display:none;}
   #mainmenu .leftmenu {display: none;}
   #contentmenu {display: none;}
{{/html}}
#set ($docextras= "[]")
#end
{{/velocity}}

No hierarchy, document-title, e.t.c. if you have no editing rights ,
e.g. you are not logged in.
However you need to include the page on all pages where the restricitons
shall apply:

{{include document="Main.Restrictions"/}}

You might have a look at the results at http://shept.org

enjoy

Andreas