Not exactly new. plantuml is on Maven central which mean you can just
declare it as dependency of your extension and Extension Manager will
install it when you install your extension.

For imported Maven extension you just need to add it as dependency in
the pom, for 100% extension.xwiki.org extensions you can add
dependency object, see
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/edit/Extension/PlantUML+Macro#HAddDependencies.

Thomas Mortagne