From: users [mailto:users-boun...@xwiki.org] On Behalf Of Vincent Massol
Sent: 21 April 2017 12:59
To: XWiki Users <users@xwiki.org>
Subject: Re: [xwiki-users] display page title and name(url) while creating a
page

Hi Mahomed,

> On 21 Apr 2017, at 13:50, Mahomed Hussein <maho...@custodiandc.com> wrote:
>
> This is quite an interesting discussion and I'd like to add a few points if
> you don't mind.
>
> When we first started using XWiki, our users did comment about the really
> long URLs that were being generated from the Title. But as our XWiki is
> internal only for documentation, I kind of brushed it off with "That's just
> the way it works".
>
> But I agree that in some cases it would be good to be able to edit the
> resulting URL. Both for us, and obviously for other users. :-)
>
> In regards of how to achieve this, I'd like to propose a half-way
> house/compromise.
>
> Firstly, create an Admin option in the Admin control panel to the effect of:
>
> "Allow users to edit the Page URL when creating new pages"
> - Always
> - Optional
> - Never (Default)

Thanks for participating to the discussion!  :) We need the max # of users to
provide an opinion.

The fact that the default would be “Never” in your proposal above wouldn’t help
that much since by default users wouldn’t be able to control the URLs and thus
you’d need to educate everyone that they need to turn this on. It’s quite
similar to telling your users to be Advanced users.

Now, what could be done is having some Admin settings for the defaults when a
user account is created in your wiki. It’s just a bit more work and the Admin
would still to know about this and thus it’s extra knowledge/complexity to use
XWiki.

Now we would need to do something like this if we cannot agree that in all
cases it’s ok to have the URL displayed in the Create page. If we agree that
it’s fine then this config option is not required.