  From: Michael GLASS
  To: U.S. Metric Association
  Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 11:27 AM
  Subject: [USMA:49424] Horror! Reporter has culture shock!

  Gayne C. Young of "Outdoor Life" made a shocking discovery: Australians speak
differently!

  For one thing, an Australian referred to a barramundi fish as a "barra".  How
confusing can that be? Like calling a refrigerator a fridge, or a telephone a
phone, or Santa Claus Santa.

  And another thing, they spell differently. How dare they spell realise with
an "s" or colouration with an extra "u"!

  However, the worst thing was this: "Unfortunately for me, Australians also
use the metric system which means I have to do math to covert the measurements
to standard for my readers."

  "Once hooked, the giant quickly ripped through 80m (about 262 feet in the
real world) of 30-pound braided line before crashing across the lake surface.
"When I heard it crash, I knew it was a big fish," Harrold detailed to the
Australian media before throwing out his "barra" and "snodger" comment.
Harrold's monster weighed an incredible 44.6kg (about 98 pounds) and measured
135cm (almost 4 ½ feet).  Its girth was an astounding 107cm (about 3 ½ feet).
This beat the previous barramundi record taken in 1999 from Lake Tinaroo,
Queensland by almost 7kg (I'm through converting numbers)."

  Now how exotic is that!

  But don't take my word for it. Read the original at
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gone-fishin/2011/01/world-record-barramundi

  Best wishes,

  Michael Glass