I was wondering why the fisherman wasn't using 130 N line.  I thought Australia
was metric. :)

Yes, some Americans have had little exposure to the rest of the world.

________________________________
From: Michael GLASS <m.gl...@optusnet.com.au>
To: U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
Sent: Wed, January 5, 2011 6:27:38 AM
Subject: [USMA:49424] Horror! Reporter has culture shock!

Gayne C. Young of “Outdoor Life” made a shocking discovery: Australians speak
differently!

For one thing, an Australian referred to a barramundi fish as a “barra”.  How
confusing can that be? Like calling a refrigerator a fridge, or a telephone a
phone, or Santa Claus Santa.

And another thing, they spell differently. How dare they spell realise with an
“s” or colouration with an extra “u”!

However, the worst thing was this: “Unfortunately for me, Australians also use
the metric system which means I have to do math to covert the measurements to
standard for my readers.”

“Once hooked, the giant quickly ripped through 80m (about 262 feet in the real
world) of 30-pound braided line before crashing across the lake surface.  “When
I heard it crash, I knew it was a big fish,” Harrold detailed to the Australian
media before throwing out his “barra” and “snodger” comment. Harrold’s monster
weighed an incredible 44.6kg (about 98 pounds) and measured 135cm (almost 4 ½
feet).  Its girth was an astounding 107cm (about 3 ½ feet).  This beat the
previous barramundi record taken in 1999 from Lake Tinaroo, Queensland by
almost
7kg (I’m through converting numbers).”

Now how exotic is that!

But don’t take my word for it. Read the original at
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gone-fishin/2011/01/world-record-barramundi

Best wishes,

Michael Glass