Dear John,

Australia is at least 90 % metric and this is gaining all the time. However
there are particular activities where the old pre-metric words are protected
because they are a jargon. Furlongs in horse racing (even though these are now
defined as exactly 200 metres) and nautical miles (defined as exactly 1852
metres) and the associated knots in yachting, etc.

The fishing equipment industry is another holdout where almost all equipment is
made in Asia for Japanese companies for sale to the market in the USA and any
surplus is directed to the much smaller Australian market. We get the dregs
from the USA table marked in pounds!

Cheers,

Pat Naughtin
Geelong, Australia

On 2011/01/05, at 22:52 , John M. Steele wrote:

> I was wondering why the fisherman wasn't using 130 N line.  I thought
> Australia was metric. :)
>
> Yes, some Americans have had little exposure to the rest of the world.

Pat Naughtin LCAMS
Author of the ebook, Metrication Leaders Guide, see
http://metricationmatters.com/MetricationLeadersGuideInfo.html
Hear Pat speak at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lshRAPvPZY
PO Box 305 Belmont 3216,
Geelong, Australia
Phone: 61 3 5241 2008

Metric system consultant, writer, and speaker, Pat Naughtin, has helped
thousands of people and hundreds of companies upgrade to the modern metric
system smoothly, quickly, and so economically that they now save thousands each
year when buying, processing, or selling for their businesses. Pat provides
services and resources for many different trades, crafts, and professions for
commercial, industrial and government metrication leaders in Asia, Europe, and
in the USA. Pat's clients include the Australian Government, Google, NASA,
NIST, and the metric associations of Canada, the UK, and the USA. See
http://www.metricationmatters.com for more metrication information, contact Pat
at pat.naugh...@metricationmatters.com or to get the free 'Metrication matters'