Hi,

I am trying to calculate the link budget for USRP N310.

Suppose I want a SNR of 20dB,
the signal bandwidth is 10MHz,
the thermal noise floor is -103.9dm.
Receiver noise figure is 5.8dB (N310 datasheet 5.8dB @1.8GHz)
Rx Antenna Gain 6dBi
Path loss: 120dB
Tx Antenna Gain 6dBi
RF cable Loss (RX+TX): 1dB

Then my TX power before TX antenna should be
-103.9dBm + 20dB + 5.8dB - 6dBi + 120dB -6dBi + 1dB = 30.9dBm

The receive signal strength at RX port of USRP = -78.1dBm
The noise strength at RX port of USRP = -103.9dBm
The SNR before receiver is 25.8dB, after receiver is 20dB.

However, due to the sampling noise and effective bits of ADC, I doubt that
the noise floor after the receiver would be much higher than -103.9dBm +
5.8dB = -98.1dBm, e.g. -90dBm?, in that case my receive SNR would be lower
than 20dB.

Does anyone know the output noise floor (or sensitivity) of USRP N310
receiver (e.g. RX2 port) in 500-1000MHz band? e.g. in the unit of dBm/Hz?

That would help me to decide if an external LNA is necessary. If so does
some typical wideband LNA with a gain of 20dB and noise figure of 3.6dB
would be enough.

Thank you!

Regards,
Zhongyuan Zhao