On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 4:34 PM, Marcus D. Leech via USRP-users
<usrp-users@lists.ettus.com> wrote:
> On 05/13/2018 04:25 PM, Zhongyuan Zhao wrote:
>
> Thank you for the response.  3.6dB NF is not impressive however I was
> considering a wideband LNA as an once-for-all solution for the entire
> frequency range 50-6000MHz of N310.
>
> Let me re-phrase the question in two different ways:
> 1) What is the minimal discernible signal (MDS) at the input of the N310
> receiver if no external LNA is used?
>
> I don't think there are measured specs out there yet, but my experience in
> the past with most of these radios is that the narrowband MDS is
>   usually better than -120dBm at max gain over most of the operating
> envelope.

Part of the question is that MDS in these radios includes the digital
demodulation portion. In narrow band analog radios with an analog IF
stage, you could use
a voltmeter to measure the analog voltage present to determine an MDS.
With a Terminated input, you would measure the analog noise floor,
then add a known signal and measure the input signal needed to add 3
dB to the analog noise floor, which gave you a close measurement to
the radio noise floor, as well as a way to determine the MDS.

Digital radios make is more difficult to do this because of the
digital processing involved. MDS is heavily dependent on the type of
modulation as well as the performance of the demodulator. This is
something you're going to have to figure out. For example, spread
spectrum signals (GPS, for example) can be demodulated with signals
that are 15 to 20 dB below the noise floor, so something you couldn't
see on a spectrum analyzer.

Marcus's comment of a narrowband (25 kHz Channel type of narrowband)
matches well with the work I've done with analog radios with 2 to 3 dB
noise floor, so the quoted 5.8 dB noise floor for the N310 sounds
about right.

On a side note, the combination of wideband LNA's in front of wideband
radios is generally something to be careful of, as strong signals out
of band can cause problems. Bandpass filtering in front of LNA's can
be a very good idea to think about.