The block is performing some signal processing on incoming samples
streaming from a radio block, but the signal processing is based on the
data stored in the ram.  It would be ideal to be able to swap out the RAM
while the block is streaming, though loading it once at start is better
than what we have now.

This is a good suggestion, however in the meantime to get it loaded more
quickly at the start.  It seems if it was feasible, having a second AXI
stream interface would be cleaner, but I don't know if it's possible.