On Mon, 2012-11-26 at 12:46 -0800, Wiser, Tyson wrote:

>  Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?  I am new to valgrind
>  so I'm sure it is something simple that I have missed.

Not too sure it is very simple. Normally, massif should work with default args.

Maybe there is a problem with malloc replacement ?

Can you try (with 3.8.1) to launch
valgrind --tool=massif --stats=yes --trace-malloc=yes ... your app ...

and then the same using ls as app.

and see if there are some relevant differences (like no indication
that malloc looks replaced in your app).

Philippe