On Fri, 2012-11-30 at 06:56 -0800, Wiser, Tyson wrote:

> I'm not sure how to interpret these results.  Does all this look OK?
Yes, it looks similar to what I see here.

To see that the whole replacement thing is working,
the command
  valgrind --tool=memcheck --soname-synonyms=somalloc=NONE ./static_malloc

should produce lines telling that the heap was used e.g.
  ==14445==   total heap usage: 2 allocs, 1 frees, 133 bytes allocated
  ==14445==    definitely lost: 10 bytes in 1 blocks

If the same lines appears in your case, it means the memcheck replacement
works on static_malloc. If the replacement is not done (e.g.
by using --soname-synonyms=somalloc=FOO), then you rather have
  ==29278==   total heap usage: 0 allocs, 0 frees, 0 bytes allocated

With massif correct replacement, it should produce a massif.out.xxxxx
file telling some memory was allocated.

If that works with the static_malloc program but not with your program,
then better file a bug in bugzilla, attaching the full output
of -v -v -v -d -d -d --trace-redir=yes.
You could also verify that your program is doing a call to malloc
(or similar function), find the address of this function
A correct redirection for malloc will look like
   --24545-- REDIR: 0x4004e4 (malloc) redirected to 0x4c25c59 (malloc)
(with the malloc "original address" being found by:
   nm static_malloc | grep malloc
   00000000004004e4 T malloc

Philippe