On 02/24/2017 08:21 PM, Ivo Raisr wrote:
> Dear Valgrind community,
>
> We are pleased to announce an imminent migration of Valgrind sources
> from existing Subversion SCM to modern git SCM, as discussed during
> our FOSDEM 2017 Valgrind devroom.

Very nice, thank you.

> What is going on now?
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> The migration has just started. We are now in beta testing stage.
> We still use the official SVN Valgrind repository for our work until
> the final migration step. If you have some patches ready now, send
> them for review.
> You can contribute to the migration process - read below.
>
> What will be migrated:
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Valgrind and VEX sources. Precisely sources available today under
> svn://svn.valgrind.org/valgrind and svn://svn.valgrind.org/vex, including
> all production release branches and tags. Valgrind and VEX repos will
> be merged into one, so no more SVN externals.
>
> Where I will find the new repo:
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> At sourceware.org. Precisely at:
> git://sourceware.org/git/valgrind.git/
> http://sourceware.org/git/valgrind.git/
> Right now a snapshot of SVN sources as of 2017-02-21 is available for
> you to test.
>
> How the test migration was performed:
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> See recipes at https://github.com/ivosh/valgrind-git-migration
>
> What is the plan for the migration to go forward:
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> 1. Test migration has been performed and initial tests were successful.
> 2. The test repo is now available to test and play for others with - see below
>     for details.
> 3. Prepare www (website) and nightly build script changes and have
> them reviewed.
> 4. Proceed once 2+3 are successfully done.
> 5. Announce the final migration.
> 6. Completely eradicate contents in the GIT repository so the migration
>     can start from scratch.
> 7. Switch SVN valgrind+vex repo readonly.
> 8. Perform the final migration to sourceware.org.
> 9. Enable email notifications from new git repo.
> 10. Push www and nightly script changes to the new repo.
>
> What will not be migrated:
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> - Valgrind www (website) repo. Not now, but later.
> - Non production release branches and tags from old SVN Valgrind+VEX repos.
>   If you need to preserve some other branches or tags, let us know:
>   https://sourceware.org/git/?p=valgrind.git;a=heads
>   https://sourceware.org/git/?p=valgrind.git;a=tags
>
> I have a write access to existing SVN repo. What shall I do for the new one?
> Please contact Julian Seward. He will point you to specific instructions.
>
> What will be my simple workflow in new git SCM?
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Not much will be changed from the way we worked in SVN.
> We still prepare patches, send them for review, have someone
> with write access to push them. A minimalistic workflow would be:
>
> git clone git://sourceware.org/git/valgrind.git/ valgrind
> edit/compile
> git status/add/show
> git pull origin/master

For a pull like approach I would suggest to either
a: do not this step (Linux style git handling)
b: use git pull --rebase (flat history style)

> build + test
> git commit
> [git push - if you have write access]

If we give write accesses, then I suggest to use the --rebase variant.
Not sure what git server is running, but git-o-lite for example allows
to reject non-fast-forward merges, so that we do not fill the
history with single patch merge commits.
Merge commits can be very useful though, if the merge commit contains
a description of a multititude of patches.