Agree with John’s clarification - yes we are planning longterm for nest mate
access.
And your proposal of using a safe replacement for Unsafe.defineAnonymousClass
with
appropriate access to add into the nest makes sense.

At this time we are building an Early Access that needs to go out sooner than
nest mates.
We should re-evaluate adding a nest mate dependency when we get closer to
deadlines and
see if that works for our partners and our own timing.

thanks,
Karen

> On Jul 5, 2017, at 12:28 PM, Paul Sandoz <paul.san...@oracle.com> wrote:
>

>> On 5 Jul 2017, at 07:26, Karen Kinnear <karen.kinn...@oracle.com> wrote:
>>
>> Paul,
>>
>> What we were discussing was the ability to use the byte code itself - not
>> the ValueType.findWither API.
>> John’s longer term plan is that ultimately the byte code can only be
>> executed in the value class itself, and
>> since the derived value class has no methods, we need a temporary approach.
>>
>> Did I misunderstand what you were saying?
>>

> No, i was missing aspect that you were referring to byte code generation.
>
> What if we added a safe replacement for:
>
>  Unsafe.defineAnonymousClass
>  https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8171335
>
> (Which we anyway have to do.)
>
> ?

> Then the VCC or DVT could be used as the host class. However, i dunno if that
> would be sufficient to cover the use-cases of byte code generation.

> Paul.
>
>> thanks,
>> Karen

>>> I am unsure if it’s necessary for MVT purposes to dial back the
>>> accessibility then dial it up again later on.
>>>
>>> ValueType.findWither can be used in conjunction with
>>> MethodHandle.privateLookupIn. It’s a little odd but works. What am i