Hi Malcolm,

You can change the location using the ||VBOX_USER_HOME|| env variable. More info here: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch10.html#idm9569

Max

On 14/10/16 18:52, Malcolm Clarke wrote:
Dear All

Although VirtualBox holds a parameter for the location of the configuration files of the virtual machines, is there any way to control the location of the configuration file of Virtual Box? Currently it installs itself in a directory ".VirtualBox" in the user's default directory.

Is there a switch or otherwise to place this directory and its configuration file in another specified location?

I ask this because we are using Virtual Box with students in a lab. They are allocated a home drive which is connected every time they log on to a machine, but we do not operate roaming profiles. Although they can retain the VM configuration directories and files by configuring to their home drive, they "lose" the Virtual Box configuration file every time they move to another machine.

Regards

Malcolm

--

*Malcolm Clarke *BSc (Hons), PhD

Reader in Telemedicine and Data Communication Systems

T+44 (0) 1895 265053

*Brunel University London*

College of Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences

Department of Computer Science

HNZW010, Heinz Wolff Building, Kingston Lane, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 3PH

*www.brunel.ac.uk <http://www.brunel.ac.uk/>*

Connect with the university on*Linkedin, Twitter, Facebook*