My first thought is to fiddle with the Mysql tables.  Copy a users info,
so they appear to be part of domain A, but their data is part of domain
B.

Of course, that creates problems with password changes, and maybe reduce
potential addresses for domain A.  chad@domainB would have a password in
domainA, so you couldn't have a chad@domainA user.

Better, you could run multiple vpopmails.  I assume that each domain's
user is sending receiving mail to/from mail.theirdomain.com

3 boxes, NFS mount the home directories, and a single Mysql table.
You get a little load balancing that way too, especially if you're
running qmail-scanner and an AV.
Or maybe you could do it with IP aliases, instead of 3 boxes?

IMHO, Matt Simerson is a good source for 'large install' info.
(I think he's on this list. or: matt.simerson.net)

Rick