On Thursday, March 27, 2003, at 06:28 PM, Raboo wrote:

lol ya all :-)

btw matt simerson, if you code hacks to make your smtpd do more loging like
you said before that you have made it do logging of what kinds of blocks it
does, please feel free to publish them if you like, if not allready,

There's no code hacks involved to get more logging. You simply configure your smtp invocation to log the denied connections. For example, my smtp invocation looks like this:

exec softlimit -m 8000000 tcpserver -S -R -c20 -x /usr/local/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -u 89 -g 89 0 smtp rblsmtpd -r sbl.spamhaus.org -r rbl-plus.mail-abuse.org -r list.dsbl.org -r bl.spamcop.net -r relays.ordb.org qmail-smtpd mail.cadillac.net /usr/local/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /usr/bin/true 2>&1

If you read the rblsmtpd man page, you'll learn that it writes it's output to file descriptor 2. In order for that to get logged, we have to put the little redirect (2>&1) in there at the end of the invocation. Now we actually get a little output from our smtp daemon. I wrote a little script that gets run as a multilog processor and it gets triggered every 5 minutes to roll the log, parse out the counts. Those get collected via SNMP and stuffed into a database which another script reads to create the graph you'll see here: http://matt.simerson.net/cgi-bin/rrdutil.pl

Eventually I'll hack up SpamAssassin some more and get it to log all the delivered messages, and their spam scores and I'll graph that too. That'll should prove interesting. :)

Greetings /Raboo
P.S. this is probibly one of the top ten biggest posts in the vchkpw
mailinglist

Religion zealots are everywhere. Who'd have thought I could make such a fuss simply by doing DNS checks on my very own personal mail server?

Matt