Hello Jonathan,

On Sunday, March 30, 2003 at 10:45:46 PM you wrote (at least in part):

>> 1.) What's the startup script of your pop3 daemon?
>> 2.) What does a telnet session give?
[...]
>> 3.) what does
>>
>> /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup doesnt.matter.com
>> /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw sh -c 'echo $HOME'
>>
>> give

> After doing what you suggested, I realized that my server never gets
> past the "pass" command. It just sends a FIN packet immediately
> forcefully closing the connection. IT doesn't even give an error message
> which is probably why my client thought it was logging in successfully.

When does that happen? In telnet session? It should at least give
'+OK' or '+ERR' before quitting the session.

> This is what that command produced:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] proc]# /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup <my domain>
> /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw sh -c 'echo $HOME'
> +OK <13287.1049056143@<my domain here>>
> user [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> +OK
> pass password
> /home/vpopmail/domains/<my domain>/user

That's so far correct.

> So it seems that for some reason its not getting past authentication.

Why does it seem to do so? You're getting the correct "virtual home"
set and the command past password check is executed, so why do you
assume it doesn't pass the check?

> The script that controls vpopmail is /var/qmail/bin/vpopmailctl but the
> actual script that runs it is
> /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-POP3d/run ...

> Any ideas? Thanks!

Yes. My question about "was is the startup script" wasn't meant to you
telling me it's name, but rather telling us it's content.
Your vchkpw seems to do everything well, so there must be a reason why
qmail-pop3d fails to propagate the state of users mailbox / maildir.

Your best bet is

1.) Pasting the content of your POP3-startup script in your next reply
2.) Test running the startup script "on the shell".
    Do a 'svc -d /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-POP3d/'
    than 'cd /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-POP3d/; ./run' on command
    line / interactive shell.
    Make another telnet session or try to fetch mail using your MUA
    and see if there are any error messages put out on the command
    line.
--
Best regards
Peter Palmreuther

I can't believe it! He's fighting with Adolf Hitler! --Rimmer.