Gonzo,

I highly suggest installing qmail-scanner and reading the howto for using
spam assassin with it.

It works perfect.  You scan mail prior to the queue stage, and if you
configure it right, everything is hidden in the headers.  I scan it this way
for over 5000 people and most of them don't even realize its hidden in the
headers.

This also lets you do it on a separate machine, so if you want to hand it
off to a machine with /var/qmail/control/smtproutes you can.

qmail-scanner is not as hard to setup as it appears.  It requires the
QMAILQUEUE patch.

-jeff