Hi Pit,

> First: _PLEASE_ don't CC me. I'm reading the list,
> as _everybody_ > posting here does.

Apologies. Smack on hand accepted.  Hit 'reply all'
instead of just 'reply'.  Didn't realise I'd done it,
don't normally do it, will watch I don't do that
again. How's that? ;-)

> >> Are you sure the '/usr/sbin/vchkpw' resutls from
> >> your compile operation?
> > No, it doesn't.
> Well, than why do you use it? :-)

Don't ask me, ask the system! It chose to to do it,
not I.  Besides, you know what tends to happen if you
force things sometimes .. maybe I should just get
nasty and delete them?

> Well ... give it a try. Replace '/usr/sbin/vchkpw'
> with '/home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw' in your POP3
startup
> script and report back if this solved your problem
:-

First thing I thought of actually, and as it happens
already the case. So where the reference is, I don't
really know.( I dropped tcpserver temporarily,
and pasted the code into inetd.conf )

# below an entry for vpopmail
pop3 stream tcp nowait root \
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup \
qmail-popup mail.extras.co.uk \
/home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw \
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d \
Maildir

Is it maybe catching the first entry in the $PATH??

> BTW: anybody able to tell my why this particular
> version of vchkpw is linked against 'libm',
'libssl', 'libcrypto' and > 'libdl'?

Good question. FYI, I used -

./configure --enable-mysql=y --enable-clear-passwd=y
--enable-valias=y --enable-mysql-replication=y
--enable-incdir --enable-libdir --enable-domainquotas

which gives:

Config result with no debian packages in ..
           vpopmail 5.2.1
            Current settings
---------------------------------------

vpopmail directory = /home/vpopmail
uid = 89
gid = 89
ip alias = OFF --enable-ip-alias-domains=n (default)
address extentions = OFF --enable-qmail-ext=n
(default)
roaming users = OFF --enable-roaming-users=n default
user quota = OFF --enable-defaultquota=NOQUOTA default
auth module = mysql --enable-mysql=y
mysql replication = ON  --enable-mysql-replication=y
table optimization = many domains
--enable-many-domains=y default
system passwords = OFF --enable-passwd=n default
file locking = ON  --enable-file-locking=y default
file sync = OFF --enable-file-sync=n default disable
vdelivermail fsync
auth logging = ON  --enable-auth-logging=y default
mysql logging = OFF --enable-mysql-logging=n default
clear passwd = ON  --enable-clear-passwd=y (default)
valias processing = ON  --enable-valias=y
pop syslog = show only failure attempts
--enable-logging=e default
default domain =  --enable-default-domain=
auth inc = -I/usr/include/mysql
auth lib = -Lyes  -lmysqlclient -lz

Cheers,

Chris.