Hi Raymond,

> I didn't change the tcp.cmtp to tcp.smtp.cdb. I simple link my
> /etc/tcp.smtp to ~vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp and made the file 777 so any
> program can write to it.

You simply try fiddling around, ending up with world-writable files and
symlinks. Hey, this is Unix, stop acting helpless. If you don't
understand the thing, hey, this is no problem, but you should understand
things first before trying to run an MTA.

1) tcp.smtp and tcp.smtp.cdb are not identical. tcp.smtp is a text file,
   while tcp.smtp.cdb is a constant database.

2) The actual tcp.smtp.cdb will get compiled by vpopmail, from the
   contents of tcp.smtp and open-smtp.

3) --enable-tcpserver-file=xyz needs a path to tcp.smtp, not a path to
   tcp.smtp.cdb.

4) The vpopmail cannot write new files to /etc, but only to
   /home/vpopmail/etc.

> Now vpopmail and qmail is sharing the same tcp.smtp file.

qmail never reads tcp.smtp, only the tcp.smtp.cdb file, which is in turn
build from tcp.smtp and open-smtp. vpopmail never writes to tcp.smtp, it
only reads it.

Now, here's your todo list:

Please remove all symlinks first (as everything is actually messed up).

Move your /etc/tcp.smtp to /home/vpopmail/etc (as vpopmail cannot write
to /etc); it contains your _static_ relay rules.

Rebuild with --enable-tcpserver-file=/home/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp (as
vpopmail needs to know where the tcp.smtp resides).

Change the qmail-smtpd run script to use /home/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb
instead of /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb (as the tcp.smtp.cdb is now there).

Now you're done. Check your maillog for successful POP3 logins. Check
/home/vpopmail/etc/open-smtp for newly generated entries. Check
/home/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb for its date to see if it gets updated
after a successfull POP3 login.

Jonas