On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Ken Jones wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 September 2003 1:14 pm, Mike Miller wrote:
> > Wondering if someone can answer this for me.  I've got maybe 100 domains
> > thus yet using crypt() encryption for passwords, as well as storing clear
> > text [for CRAM-MD5 encryption requiring the password].
> >
> > If I just install VPOPMAIL with MD5 support, will it detect which domains
> > are crypt and which are MD5?
> Yes. The crypt() function does that automatically.

This is also somewhat OS dependant.  The *BSDs for example have a crypt()
that can handle DES, MD5, and Blowfish.  I'm successfully using Blowfish
(accounts were system account users from OpenBSD) after making the
pw_passwd field larger in mysql.

Some OSes have a config file for crypt() that will set the default
encryption method.  "man 3 crypt" should give some indication of how your
OS will behave.

Charles