the problem with the relaying is actually related to courier-imap..

if you configured vpopmail with --enable-mysql=y --enable-roaming-users=y
then you are setup for mysql relaying..
i have tried the tcpserver patches and it seems to work although never
really gets triggered..
(if you have an ipv4/ipv6 enabled imap server  then the mysql enabled
tcpserver is a pain in the rectum)

plain vpopmail-5.3.X series is ready to go in this department, however a
patch needs to be applied to courier-imap.

you can verify this by looking for the existence of a vpopmail.relay table..
if you have the table but no rows of data,
all you are missing is the /var/qmail/control/sql file and the courier-imap
patch..

roaming users with courier-imap was working up until the 1.53 series..
beyond that a patch is needed to remove a bunch of broken and misplaced
ifdef's

apply this patch to your courier-imap source tree and add
"-DHAVE_OPEN_SMTP_RELAY -DHAVE_VLOGAUTH" to your CFLAGS when you compile it.

it has been tested to work with up to courier-imap-2.01.tar.gz but should
work with newer versions..

in the past on brand new installs this works to get roaming-user support
pretty easily and not messing with cdb files..

let me know how it goes..

Nathan Goodman
Unemployed Network Administrator
Casualty of April 2003 Cutbacks