On Saturday, November 22, 2003, at 08:37 AM, Tom Williams wrote:Thanks for the info. I'll see about increasing the softlimit. As for the zombies, this is what I've been doing. I issue the "/etc/init.d/qmail stop" command to stop Qmail. (I can post that script here if needed) Then I remove the entries in /service/ and then I manually kill off any remaining "tcpserver" zombies and any remaining "supervise qmail-smtpd" or "supervise qmail-pop3d" process so there's NOTHING running except supervise and the related daemontools.
QMAILDUID=`id -u qmaild`
NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild`
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 2000000 \
/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -l mydomain.com -H -R -x /home/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb \
-u$QMAILDUID -g$NOFILESGID 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1 > /dev/null
[EMAIL PROTECTED] qmail-smtpd]#
Your softlimit looks low. I've used 6MB in the past (I currently use a huge number due to inefficient virus scanning by clamdmail).
You might need to manually kill the zombie process before trying to restart qmail.
If you're using the qmail SMTP AUTH patch, you're missing command-line options to qmail-smtpd.
Then when I restore the contents of /service/, with this command:
# ln -s /var/qmail/supervise/* /service/
The "tcpserver" processes start up and I immediately get the qmail-smtpd problem as that "tcpserver" process becomes a zombie. :(
I have NOT applied the qmail SMTP AUTH patch since I didn't know it existed.
I used Adam McKenna's HOWTO to install and configure qmail