I currently have spamassassin set up to grab all users info from sql, and
I have not had any problems with spamassassin and user preference files,
except I did have the problem with vpopmail earlier for non-existent
users.

As you can see in my mailfilter script that I step right past that problem
by doing the following

<snip of mailfilter>
VHOME=`/var/lib/vpopmail/bin/vuserinfo -d [EMAIL PROTECTED]

VPOP="$VHOME/Maildir/"
if ( "no such user" =~ /$VHOME/:d )
{
VDOMHOME=`/var/lib/vpopmail/bin/vdominfo -d $HOST`
VPOP3=`cat $VDOMHOME/.qmail-default | cut -f4 -d' '`
VPOP="$VPOP3/Maildir/"
EXT=`echo $VPOP3|cut -f7 -d'/'`
}
USERDEFINEDSPAMSTATUS = 0;
USERDEFINEDSPAMSTATUS=`grep spamc /var/www/data/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>/dev/null 2>/dev/null|wc -l`
# run through SpamAssassin (if less than the specified size)
if ( $SIZE < 262144 )
{
   if ( $USERDEFINEDSPAMSTATUS == 0 )
   {
   exception {
      xfilter "/usr/bin/spamc -f -u [EMAIL PROTECTED]"
   }
   }
}

exception {
include "/var/www/data/[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
}

</snip of mailfilter>

by that I seem to have gotten around creating preference files for users.
I currently have all user preferences stored in sql and squirrelmail
configured to update spamassassin prefences in sql.

one caveat, I have not figured out how to move the bayesian filters into
sql as of yet.  And I don't imagine I'm going to be able to without
modifying the code.

As you can see in my above script before spamassassin runs I run a
vuserinfo and check for a no such user, I then if there exists no user, I
then ask qmail-default if this is a catch-all account, if so then what is
the user of that account, then read the information from there.

Since I now know who it is really going to by sleuthing around I should be
able to modify $EXT and $HOST variable for spamassassin.

Thanks!

-Myron