On Wed, 24 Dec 2003, Andrea Riela wrote:

[snip]

> > Keep in mind that if you're using courier-imap you need to
> > recompile it
> > after building vpopmail with enable-roaming-users since it links
> > directly to libvpopmail instead of calling vchkpw.
>
> That's not clear. I use qmail for pop3, and I will use Courier only for pop3
> with ssl.
> Now I'm testing the enable-roaming-users only with qmail and vpopmail
> (vchkpw).

I have to ask.  Why not use stunnel to create the SSL tunnel and just use
the standard qmail POP3 like you're doing for non-SSL?

My line to start this is:

env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin" \
    tcpserver -H -R -u 89 -g 89 0 pop3s \
    stunnel -T pop3s -p /var/qmail/control/servercert.pem \
       -l /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup vengeance.tokimi.net \
       /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &

This uses a 3.x version of stunnel.  A version 4.x stunnel requires
something completely different.

But, to answer the issue with Courier pop3...

> The problem is: when I use --enable-roaming-users=no, I haven't
> possibilities to send an email from no-LAN ip to no-LAN ip. And that's
> right. But when I use --enable-roaming-users=yes, nothing, and I don't
> undestand why.
>
> My steps:
> 1- ./configure ... --enable-roaming-users=n && make && make install
> That works fine
>
> 2- qmailctl stop
> (rm /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw)
> make clean
> ./configure ... --enable-roaming-users=y && make && make install
> qmailctl cdb
> /home/vpopmail/bin/clearopensmtp
> qmailctl start
> Send email from [EMAIL PROTECTED] (internal account) to other external
> account via different connection (dialup) --> 553, not allowed rcphost
>
> I've forgotten something?

If I've followed this conversation correctly...

Rather than removing /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw at the beginning of step
two, shouldn't you be renaming it to a different path so that you can use
it for use with plain POP3 (with should not authenticate IPs)?  Or am I
confused?

After rebuilding vpopmail with --enable-roaming-users=y in step 2, you
should then recompile Courier to ensure that it is linking against the new
(and proper) version of libvpopmail.a   Changing the vchkpw binary will
not affect Courier since, as Mr. Collins says, Courier links directly
against the library and does not ever deal with the vchkpw binary.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Chris Ess
System Administrator / CDTT (Certified Duct Tape Technician)